Submitted by: M Shinwari
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
A delicious okra stew (gumbo) that is traditionally eaten over rice and with a dollop of pomegranate molasses on top. However, to make it BD friendly, I have eliminated those two unnecessary ingredients. Feel free to have it on its own, or over some cooked quinoa. Baby okra can be hard to find but is essential for this dish. Look for it in middle eastern grocery stores. A bag of forzen Okra works too!
1) Cube the beef, Crush the garlic, Dice the onion
2) Sear the beef cubes in a cast-iron skillet until the surfaces develop a rich brown crust, either by themselves or using 1 tbsp coconut oil.
3) Place the diced onions at the bottom of the crockpot, followed by the seared beef cubes
4) Rinse the frozen baby okra once, that should be enough to thaw them. Place on top of the beef cubes.
5) add the garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
6 Pour the can of tomato sauce over the mixture.
7) Place the lid and cook on low for 8 hours or more.
8) Lift the lid, mix all the ingredients together (baby okra might be too soft that it gets crushed. Don't worry, the taste is still there !).
9) Serve. This is one of the few meals that taste better when re-heated after refrigerated :)