Today, you and I are going to get a bit personal, so I hope that's ok. You know I'm not shy about sharing my personal information so here goes...
Just recently I had a very good friend of mine come to me and ask:
"Isabel, would it be ok if my daughter (let's call her Jane) came to talk to you about something? She's a little embarrassed about it, but I've convinced her that you would be a good person to talk to."
Jane is in her 2nd year of college and I know her very well. Her parents are very close friends of mine so, of course, I said YES and was hoping there was nothing really wrong with Jane, but maybe just a little bit of college "drama."
Well, after talking to Jane over the phone, the problem was, yes, quite personal. Since she started college she was suffering from yeast infections very often. I asked her all of the appropriate questions and got down to some potential causes for the problem.
Jane felt very relieved when I told her that there were some very simple solutions to her problem but she had to follow what I was telling her. She also felt very relieved when I told her I had the same issue in high school and college and was able to stop them using specific dietary strategies (that I will share with you in just a minute).
Now, there is a lot of information and a lot to learn about yeast infections and Candida (which is the real term for the fungus that causes most yeast infections and a variety of other health problems like constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, fatigue, headaches and more) so I have decided to dedicate the next 3 newsletters to explaining Candida and whether or not it may be the cause for your discomfort.
What kind of discomfort am I talking about? (And guys, don't think this information doesn't include you since about 40% of males are currently suffering from yeast infections.)
Again, high yeast (or candida) levels can show up as:
- constant fatigue and low energy
- recurring vaginal infections
- rashes - skin, mouth, sexual organs
- flu-like symptoms
- headaches and/or migraines
- constipation or diarrhea, bloating
- food allergies or food intolerances
What exactly is Candida?Candida is a form of yeast and is part of the microorganisms that live in your mouth and intestine. Everyone has it, so "having" it is not the problem. Problems occur when you have way too much candida in your system resulting in uncomfortable symptoms (like the ones mentioned above).
What causes Candida overgrowth?
Candida starts to cause trouble when there is some change in your body that creates an environment where Candida can multiply more than it should. This change can be anything from taking prescribed antibiotics, eating a diet heavy in carbs, sugar and processed food, or being under lengthy periods of stress. Since I just described MOST of the population these days, you can see how Candida overgrowth has become more and more common, affecting millions of people every day (and most don't even know that it's the source of their problems).
Well, for a very long time I was one of the millions affected by these symptoms, and for years I didn't know that the root cause of my chronic yeast infections, dry scalp, gas, bloating and constipation was out of control candida.
So how did I get rid of it?
I resolved the issue by using the methods I am going to teach you over the next 2 newsletters, but to start here are:
Isabel's Top 3 ways to prevent or alleviate Candida problems
- Eliminate sugar and processed foods that are feeding the Candida. Imagine you had a raging fire outside your house and you wanted it to stop. You would not throw fire wood at it or, even worse, infuse it with gasoline. That would just make the fire worse and give it "fuel." The same goes with Candida that is out of control. If you continue to give it the "fuel" that is feeding it (sugar and processed foods), it will continue to grow and grow and grow, exactly what you don't want.
- Eat foods that are high in good bacteria. Many people think yogurt is good for them, but they don't know exactly why. First, you have to be sure the yogurt you eat is free of sugar and artificial sweeteners and, preferably, it should be organic and full fat. If you're not a fan of yogurt or you do not tolerate dairy well, other foods that are high on the "good bacteria" list are fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, kimchi, and drinks like kombucha...all loaded with good probiotics.
- Make acidophilus and other healthy bacteria strains your best friend. Many people have heard the term "acidophilus," but don't really know what it is. Acidophilus is a good bacteria that falls into the category of probiotics. Probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics. Whereas antibiotics kill bacteria you don't want, probiotics ADD bacteria you do want.
In fact, research is now suggesting that supplementing with a quality probiotic supplement every single day just may be even more important for your health and longevity than taking a daily multivitamin...the problem is finding a quality product that overcomes the pitfalls of most probiotic supplements.
You may not know this, but more than 93% of the probiotics found in traditional probiotic products will be dead by the time they reach your gut (the "final destination" that they must reach alive and well in order to provide you with their beneficial properties).
Because probiotics are living organisms, they are also very fragile and sensitive to light, heat, and the extremely acidic environment of your stomach, leaving you with very little live probiotics to benefit from once they reach their home in your intestinal track.
To combat this massive problem, I worked with my friends at BioTrust to develop a micro-encapsulated probiotic product called Pro-X10 that protects each probiotic cell through a wide range of environments to ensure that you get what you pay for - live, active probiotic cells that can make all the difference in your health.
Beyond that, we've included a number of unique probiotic strains in Pro-X10 that provide additional benefits like oral health, constipation relief, and immune defense, along with several other support nutrients that give this product my highest stamp of approval.